Sunday, July 1, 2012

The Tiger's Wife by Tea Obreht


The Tiger's Wife by Tea Obreht

Genre: Adult General/Surreal Fiction


Tea Obreht (I can never spell her name correctly on the first try) is a young newcomer. I actually read a few of her short stories before so I decided to check out her new novel.

I'd have to say about 75% of it was captivating. The more interesting parts of the novel were the magic realism--the deathless man and the bear hunter and the tiger's wife--, but Obreht sometimes gets so enveloped in the surrealism that it tugs at the narrative's shoelaces. The book is about the daughter of a country doctor, but it turns out the doctor's escapades far surpasses whatever shenanigans she finds herself in.

In the end, I can only remember the deathless man. Why do so many authors use Death as a parable for Life? Rather ironic, methinks.

Rating: Could be better

May 31st, 2011 8:30pm--transferred from ireadanything.tumblr.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
;